Tuesday, November 20, 2012

6mm French Line Infantry - Seven Years War

Slowly, very slowly, my 6mm Seven Years War French project is taking shape. The third piece of I have done is a unit of French Line Infantry, this time with "front turnbacks" in their coats - meaning the front edge of the coat is buttoned back against the sides, exposing the colorful lining of the inside. This was just a way for the soldiers to spiff up their uniforms a bit, and historically some units did and others did not. These gentlemen bear the flag of the Provence regiment, which I believe technically means they should not have these turnbacks, but I'm just not that much of a stickler. And I didn't have a flag for a unit with this uniform.

For information about the uniforms of the armies involved in the Seven Years War I've been using the excellent resource at Kronoskaf. You can find the project here: http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Main_Page

Once again these are Baccus 6mm models. The level of detail is really very good considering the small size of the figures, and I like being able to pack a lot of little guys in to such a small area. I've mounted them on wooden bases from Litko, which I give just a very basic scenic treatment.





This is the entire army at this point...not very formidable yet, but they're slowly expanding.


9 comments:

  1. Your painting is excellent given the size of the figures!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. your painting skills really show off how much detail is on the Baccus figures . i wish my Prussian army looked half as good . i must practice more !

    absolutely lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, I'm glad you like the figures. They're pretty nifty little models. General von Zeiten, I'm sure I wouldn't want to go up against your Prussians with what little I have so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are lovely, really nice work. I just wish they were closer to play with my British..

    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FWrxBcoYmwo/TomWKtvMLmI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/Ci1HgkzT6a4/s1600/WSS1.JPG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great looking force Doug! I don't think my Frenchmen are ready to handle that at this stage..... - James

      Delete
  5. Magnificent stuff - well done. I've painted a fair few Baccus figs and I've got to say that this is the best painting I've seen. Although it might seem like the Regts take a while to finish, I found that a good paint job inspires more painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind words. I think you're right, when I'm pleased with the way a paint job turns out it does make it easier to push on to the next piece. Time to put my paintbrush where my mouth is though! - James

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy #%@* James. You must have excellent eyesight. The 1/1200 ships are taxing my old 60YO eyes enough, even with glasses and a big magnifier lamp. These are soooooo small! But boy! If I traded out all of my giant 25MM armies for 6MM or 10MM I'd have a lot more room on the shelves and maybe my wife would let me buy more. Ya think? Now I know why your paint jobs are so perfect on the ships.

    Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Vol, glad you like them. They are indeed a little more economical with space, but I make no warranties for what the Missus will allow - I'm fighting my own battles there!!

    - James

    ReplyDelete