Friday, July 12, 2013

10mm Painting article for Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy

I recently published my first ever magazine article, a look at my pretty straightforward approach to painting 10mm ancient/ dark ages models, in the latest issue (#67) of Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy. I've been slowly finishing off bases of late Romans and Goths, which I hope to use with the ruleset 'Impetus', and having received nice feedback and some questions from viewers I wanted to lay out the process I use for these. Check out the magazine if this interests you, and I can attest to the fact that there is much more of interest besides in this issue.

I'll also be writing another 10mm painting article for the next issue, detailing my approach to some more modern painting subjects, specifically camouflage uniforms and armored vehicles.

All of the models below are from Pendraken. The Roman infantry and cavalry are, of course, from their late Roman range, as is the command figure on the Gothic base. He comes from the 'Arthurian Personalities' set. Yes, I may have drafted King Arthur for the barbarians! The rest of the Goths are from their Anglo Saxon and Norse offerings.




8 comments:

  1. Congrats! Read your article with great interest, looking forward to more.

    Cheers, SG
    mountainsoflead.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Godefroy, I'm glad the article was interesting! - James

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I love your style and look, and can't wait to score a copy of the mag.
    Cheers
    Thomas
    www.skullncrown.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Thomas, I appreciate it. And there's a lot of great stuff in the magazine. Thanks also for the link to your own page, very cool stuff. - James

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked up WS&S here in the US and read your article. Loved it. Then I searched to see if you have a blog. Glad you do! Excellent work.

    Your article has inspired me to get back into 10mm. (I sold off my 10mm Dacian horde several years ago.) My favorite set of rules is Warmaster.

    Please keep posting more 10mm.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, thanks for the kind words. It's great to know the article was well received. I'll definitely be posting more 10mm photos in the future, both ancients and modern , as soon as they can fight their way to the front of the queue!
      - James

      Delete
  5. these are brilliant. what size bases did you use? 80 x 40mm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you like them. The bases are 100mm by 50mm, ordered from Litko Game Accessories.

      Delete