Friday, June 12, 2015

18 Gun Brig - GHQ 1:1200


Wait, where was I? I guess it's been a while since I added anything to the site. But I'm happy to have photos to share of the latest project I've completed.

This is GHQ's 1:1200 model of an 18 gun brig, a very common type of vessel used in a variety of roles by all the European navies of the time. It was in just such a ship that the famous British naval hero Thomas Cochrane encountered and defeated the Spanish Xebec frigate El Gamo in 1801.

I've created my own bowsprit out of brass rods (for better strength and accuracy) and used nylon paintbrush bristles for rigging. Sea base and ratlines are from Langton miniatures, and the whole is mounted on a plastic sheet with a magnetic layer on the bottom for ease of storage/ transport.









2 comments:

  1. Inspirational stuff - your rigging is simply superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, glad you like it. The brush bristles definitely make it easier than tying threads!

      Delete